This nutritional program (your eczema diet) is based on the logic that the real magic bullets for reversing eczema and gaining health and vitality are in nutritional components found in foods, not pharmaceuticals (chemical, herbal or botanical formulas). We now know scientifically that nutrients found in foods can help prevent nearly all the common degenerative diseases that strike us today. Following this eczema diet can really make a difference for you.
"You have your own individual potential for health," says Udo Erasmus , in his book, Fats that Heal - Fats that Kill . Erasmus also explains that there are at least four reasons we can rely on ourselves to find a natural cure for eczema through the foods we eat (our diet) and that we are not to expect pharmaceutical drugs or even natural herbal and botanical formulas to accomplish our health goals.
1. Health is a natural state.
- Internally, our optimum health possibility is determined by our genetic makeup, which includes complex and sophisticated digestive, absorptive, constructive, maintaining, metabolic, protective, and healing mechanisms. Because individuals differ genetically, optimal health is also somewhat different for each individual.
- Externally, health is determined by the natural environment, which provides:
||the surroundings (setting);
||the building blocks from which our body is constructed and continuously reconstructed; and
||toxic substances that can interfere with processes that underlie health and healing (Erasmus, p. 414).
2. Our body is made from foods, water, air, and light energy.
- The key to effective primary health care and reversing eczema is found in living as we would live, if we were in an ideal natural setting, where foods are fresh, alive, raw, sun-ripened, locally grown, in season, and pesticide-free. Water is clean. Air is clean. Light is full-spectrum sunlight.
- From foods, water and air our body must derive 50+ essential factors to function in a healthy way, factors our bodies cannot make from other substances. These include 20 or 21 minerals; 13 vitamins; 8 to 11 essential amino acids; 2 essential fatty acids; water; air; light; and a source of energy (usually carbohydrates).
- Processing removes essential nutrients from foods and may also destroy nutrients or change them into toxic substances. Deficiencies of essential nutrients and toxicity in foods have both been documented in processed foods (Erasmus, p.414).
3. Eczema is a departure from health.
- A departure from health is a departure from the ideal natural state, internally, externally, or both.
- The most common causes of eczema include malnutrition, especially to the skin (deficiency of essential substances or nutrient imbalances) and internal pollution (interfering substances such as pollutants, heavy metals, drugs, metabolic waste products, toxins produced by yeast, and toxins made in our body as a result of allergic reactions).
4. Eczema can be reversed by changing the diet you are eating.
- Reversal of eczema caused by malnutrition and internal pollution requires improved nutrition and detoxification.
- Nutrition can be improved by the consumption of whole foods, fresh juices, super foods supplements and food concentrates.
Important guiding principle for a healthier body:
It should be kept in mind that the best eczema diet is one where you consume only original foods, or foods modified minimally, instead of consuming isolated or synthetic compounds (single amino acids, single essential fatty acids, vitamins or minerals). From foods, our bodies must derive all 50+ essential nutrients, on a daily basis, to function in a healthy way. Deficiency of any of these essential nutrients can lead to degenerative processes and degenerative diseases such as eczema.
It's difficult to define the impact of a particular nutrient on any specific disease. The reason is that nutrients work together synergistically, not separately, to improve physiological function, reduce disease risk and help the body defend itself against disease producing processes.
For example, it has been scientifically proven through clinical research that individuals with eczema appear to have deficiencies in essential fatty acids. Instead of taking essential fatty acids as individual supplements (i.e., fish oil), it is always better to eat foods high in essential fatty acids. Therefore, we might think of "nutrition" and the "eczema diet" as the consumption of a family of related compounds that work together to enhance the body's ability to function optimally throughout the genetically determined life span of the individual. How healthy an individual becomes depends on what he/she chooses to put into their body every day. A very important concept to reverse eczema is to eat (start eating) your way to better health by following an eczema diet .
Goals of this nutritional eczema diet program:
- This program will help you adjust your diet. I focus in particular on the word "adjust" which is calming because it describes a process, not an event. i.e., I can parallel park a car if I get to make adjustments as I go along. So that's what you're going to do on your journey from one end of the dietary spectrum to the other. You're going to adjust your eating as you go along, fine tune it, in other words, until you achieve the results you seek.
- Since you will be seeking health, not avoiding illness, your journey is similar to a treasure hunt. If you feel yourself trying to escape illness, or if you find yourself motivated by fear rather than hope, you've lost your way. You are actually seeking life's treasures, not avoiding its dangers.
- This natural eczema diet program will help you seek to balance your foods in order to balance your body. Balance means a coupling of opposites, like breathing in and breathing out. All natural systems exist by coupling such opposites, and chronic illness such as eczema is a sign that one of the opposites has become too dominant, and the other too weak. (The concept of balancing acid and alkaline foods is an example of this). So with this diet you will balance the properties and functions of your foods in order to balance the properties and functions of your body .
- You don't have to jump in this eczema diet program with both feet all at once. If you choose, you may slowly change your way of living and diet to that which is health producing in your own time-frame. You may set up one, two or five year health goals. Take your time, as your body begins detoxifying and healing, it will become easier and more enjoyable to follow life enhancing health practices with your diet.
- Last, but not least, we hope that you will keep "diet" in perspective. Please remember that food is not all there is to life . We want this eczema diet program to be pleasing to your taste buds, not just health promoting. We want you to be serious about this diet and your commitment to it, but not too serious. We hope you anchor yourself in these guiding principles, yet try to be flexible, open-minded and wise. And if you feel you have "failed" from time to time, just count your mistakes as information, not as defeat or as a cause of guilt. Following this eczema diet is a happy journey that will be full of challenging times, some doubts, moments of victory followed by days, months and then a lifetime of health and vitality and an eczema free life.
So, let's begin your health promoting diet and lifestyle.
For detailed information, please click on the following links:
- Erasmus, Udo. (1993). Fats that heal Fats that Kill.
Burnaby, BC: Alive Books.